Fatwa: # 17623
Category: Marriage
Country: United States
Date: 2nd March 2009


I recently got married and after marriage I find out my husband is physically unfit I told him it ok and we will seek medical help. Now He gets really mad at me for...


I   recently got married and after marriage I find out my husband is physically unfit I told him it ok and we will seek medical help. Now He gets really mad at me for no reasons and when I say something he gets offended I am trying to make him understand that you will be fine and I will still live with you but now he stopped living with me and he says he have to take care of his mother back home. And he says you can’t live with us because my mother doesn’t like you. I am living without him and without any rights and financial help. Please tell me is this right to ask for divorce and move on. Or I should wait and see but he does not even call me from there since he says his mother does’nt like that. Please reply. its already 9 months and he went to doctors and doesnot tell me what is happening.


In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

We sympathize with you and understand your pain and difficulties.

Unfortunately, your husband is very irresponsible. He has failed in fulfilling his marital obligations to you. He ought to be providing shelter, food and clothing for you. He ought to be staying with you. Instead he presents the excuse to take care of his mother.

He further has the audacity to state his mother doesn’t like you. He gets upset when you advise him for his own benefit and welfare. This is not what marriage is meant to be.

Our advice is you make Istikhara regarding breaking the marriage and moving on with your life. If you are satisfied with that then ask him to divorce you or refer to your local Ulama and request him to annul the marriage.

You should not live in false love and hope. Turn to Allah. He will guide you and open doors or mercy and happiness for you.


And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Wassalamu Alaykum

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]