Fatwa: # 20891
Category: Jurisprudence and Rulings...
Date: 4th February 2019


Can a lady spend her pregnancy period in her parents`house?


Aswk, Dear mufti, My question is : can a married woman stay with her parents, who are in a different country, for her pregnancy, delivery and post delivery period? I am in a real problem for which I am in need of proper consul. I recently got married to a guy in India, I had much difficulty dealing with his parents, especially the mother in law, they gave me a hard time. So a few months after my marriage, I went to visit my parents in the US, along with the in laws. I found out about my pregnancy and stayed back. After my husband left, he urged me to come back. I am unable to go because I have difficulty in travel, at the same time I cannot handle my husband's family who constantly argue and fight. IN this state I don't want to go. My husband does not keep me separately, and at the same time he is not cooperative. He does not take care of me properly. I am afraid to go, but he is forcing me to come. Another reason is that I don't want to have my delivery in India, my in-laws want to force my child to stay in India. What can I do? Can I stay back?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-ramatullahi wa-barakatuh.

It is permissible and in fact normal for a first time pregnant woman to live by her mother some time before the delivery and after the delivery. The period before birth and after birth require special care and assistance.

You refer to multiple reasons for not going back,

1.      Difficulty in travelling due to pregnancy.

2.      Attitude of in laws.

3.      Husband`s attitude.

In principle, you require your husband`s permission to stay at your parent`s home.

Our advise is you request him to allow you to live at your parent`s home for now until you are settled after giving birth. Do not refer to points 2 and 3 for now.

Your father may consider discussing the issue with your husband or his father.

Turn to Allah and seek His assistance. Perform salaatul haajah, make the zikr of Allah and make dua.

May Allah make everything easy for you.

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Hussein Muhammad.

Student Darul Iftaa

Arusha, Tanzania

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.




DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]